Tuesday, January 17, 2012

All things important





Money, money, money! We never have enough of it, of course, for Hope House needs. It feels like a constant struggle to make ends meet in our mission of serving the poor of our community—both with goods and with the small amounts of money offered by Assumption Financial Assistance. I dislike focusing on the budget line items, the spreadsheets and the grant requests because it seems so much like the least of our mission.


But in truth, at Hope House we are stewards of all that is given to us by those who donate and those who fund us in any way. It’s a balancing act at all times to make sure our focus is where it needs to be. Part of my job description is to deal with budgets and grants, so at this time of year, I often start with a resolution that I am going to do a better job at it this year.


So meetings are already set up and the ball is rolling, but I also need to stop and think and pray about the other areas I need to focus on:


1. Volunteers---I need to make sure their needs are being met, that they are feeling as valued as they are. I always worry I am not offering enough positive feedback.


2. Clients---I need to make sure they are receiving the best of me at all times. No perfunctory greetings, I need to offer warmth and compassion always!


3. Donors---are they being offered the warmest thank you I can give? Sometimes it seems that they creep in the back door, drop things off and are gone before I have a chance to say thanks.


4. Community---am I attending as many community opportunities as I should to keep Hope House current and on the radar in our area? Does the community understand who we are and what our mission is?


The bottom line for all who work with Hope House is that we treat each other and all our clients with all the love and compassion we would reserve for Jesus Christ himself—for we are serving the Body of Christ each and every day.


Try putting that in a spreadsheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment