Monday, May 13, 2019

The most valuable thing at Hope House is.....


Recently, I needed to find a “bright spot” in the past year for a major funding source. Here is what came from my heart:

Trying to find one bright spot in a year like this last year is almost impossible. We demolished our old building, spent several months working out of our shed down the alley and finally opened up in our bright, shiny new building. So where do I start?

How about with a common denominator in all of these—our volunteer staff. When we were getting ready to close down in the old building, they worked like troopers to sort, pack and carry goods/donations to appropriate resting places. Their common sense and discriminating taste helped make the process quicker. When we had to downsize our staffing because we were in the shed, they hung in there and worked when needed, even in the cold and heat!

But the true value of these wonderful people, many of whom are retired and elderly, came when it was time to prepare and “load in” in the new building. Thanks to a generous grant from a local foundation, we were able to completely furnish the new Hope House with new racks, bins, shelving, desks, chairs, etc. Expecting a massive delivery from the store we bought from, and anticipating a week’s worth of hard work, I scheduled us to be closed for one week right before opening day.

Having told the staff I would be there every day from 9-3 and to come when they could, I didn’t know what to expect. I certainly didn’t expect for almost every single volunteer to show up almost every day. Many came every day, all day, until we were done. The work was hard and physical, and yet, there were no complaints. Not only did they help unpack, put together and set up the furnishings, they helped to decide where the best placement was for each piece.

 I cannot say how much this show of support and love from my beloved volunteers meant to me. It was truthfully the brightest spot in the past year for me! Without this wonderful staff, we would have no Hope House. Truly, my greatest treasure at Hope House is my awesome staff.


No comments:

Post a Comment